Saturday, July 11, 2009

Week Six: Natural Wall Building (week 1)

In order to support our strawbales- and keep them up off the ground, we built a 17" tall pony wall on top of the foundation. Then we had to frame out our windows and doors. I was excited to figure out some carpentry for angles at the doorway!

At all the windows and the door opening we had to put caulk and tar paper and expanded metal lath. This blocks moisture from getting into the strawbale wall and the lath helps the plaster coat to hold on

On Wednesday we had some strawbales brought over from where they are being stored under cover on campus and we got to bailing!

This is the corner I've been working on- my camera batter died at the end of Friday- I'll get more pics next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment